Sponsored post: while I was given product for this post, all opinions are my own.
It’s a three day weekend, and nothing could be better for that than a delicious burger! I teamed up with Whole Foods to do a twist on the traditional burger, using Beyond Burger, a plant-based burger that is not only vegan, it looks and cooks up just like a beef burger does. May 28th is National Hamburger Day, so get the grill/grill pan ready!
Before you roll your eyes or think “no way am I trying that”, know that I was skeptical at first also. I am from the Midwest, where meat and potatoes are practically at every meal. But I wanted to see if I was up for the challenge, as I am not one to back away from a culinary challenge!
Few facts about Beyond Burger – 20 g of plant-based protein, GMO/soy/gluten-free. It cooks up and holds it shape just like a regular ground beef patty, and it actually tastes like meat, so even if you aren’t vegan/vegetarian and are offered one, you will still get a great tasting burger (especially if you dress it up, try my take it on it with a little Mexican twist). With it being plant-based, there is no grease to pop or drain afterwards, so clean-up is quick and easy!
No matter how you celebrate, even National Hamburger Day, but try something new and give the Beyond Burger a chance – even this picky food blogger thought it was tasty!It's #nationalhamburgerday! I teamed up with @wholefoods to give the Beyond Burger a try!… Click To Tweet
- Beyond Burger patty
- 3 slices of cheese (I used Buffalo Cheddar to give it a kick)
- Wheat roll
- Green leaf lettuce
- 2 tomato slices (use a hearty tomato, like a steakhouse or beef tomato)
- Half an avocado, sliced
- 1 T fresh salsa (I used Whole Foods brand)
- Salt and pepper
- Using your grill pan or cast iron skillet, heat to medium high heat.
- Season Beyond Burger with salt and pepper
- Cook on each side 3-5 minutes, adding cheese once on second side cooking (add a top to steam melt the cheese for 1 minute)
- Cut open wheat roll and place lettuce on bottom roll.
- Add patty, top with remaining ingredients and serve.