Breakfast is not just for the AM! A good meal should be enjoyed morning, noon or night – my Sweet Potato Hash is the perfect recipe to break the rules for.
Rules are meant to be broken – especially when it comes to food. Pancakes for dinner? Go for it. Pizza for breakfast? They make breakfast pizza for a reason. We get in routines where we think this must go with this and it doesn’t have to be that way. My Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is great before the work/school day begins, but why not bring it to reheat for lunch, or better yet make it, and save it for dinner? Because let’s face it – questioning what we are going to eat is a national past time. While this is the vegetarian version, if you want to add some bacon, go to town. Have white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes in the house? Do it. Green peppers sub for red, a bed of crispy hash browns underneath would be a delicious dream come true. While taxes, rising gas prices and questionable Facebook statuses are pretty much guaranteed, the rules of when to eat breakfast are completely up to you.
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 lg sweet potato, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 T minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- Heat oil in cast iron or any heavy skillet on medium high heat.
- Once heated add sweet potatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add red pepper, salt and pepper and cover, cooking for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and add green onions and garlic, stirring to combine.
- Crack eggs on top of hash* and cover to cook until desired doneness.
- Serve immediately.
- *If eating later, wait to cook eggs until time to eat, reheat hash and then cook the eggs.