Make the holidays shine with lots of delicious Classic Cut Out Sugar Cookies. Color, sprinkle and frost away!
At the store the other day I was asked if I was a “holiday baker.” When I asked the cashier what this meant, she explained “people who only bake during the holidays.” Inside I was chuckling, but I just said no and went about my business. While there is nothing wrong with holiday baking, I wanted to show her my blog, explain that baking is a constant thing for me. And while I do bake a lot, many of us only bake this time of year and need simple recipes to choose from. That is where my easy recipe for Classic Cut Out Sugar Cookies come in handy. Simple ingredients, an hour to chill and you have two dozen cookies to frost and sprinkle to your heart’s content. And what a great way to get the kids in the kitchen, or have the besties over and make it a bake (and wine) party. And just like life they don’t need to be perfect, just filled with love and memories!Make your holiday baking simple and fun with my Classic Cut Out Sugar Cookies! #holiday #baking #recipe Click To Tweet
For frosting take a package of powdered sugar along with 4-5 tablespoons of milk or water and whisk until smooth and combined. Add more sugar or liquid to get to the desired consistency needed. Divide into bowls, color with food coloring and decorate away.
- 1 package of Plugra unsalted butter softened to room temp (1 cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4-5 T whole milk (can also use water)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Beat butter in a stand mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and mix to combine.
- Reduce speed to low and add egg and vanilla.
- Add milk and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl mix salt and flour and add to butter mixture (add more milk/water if needed)
- Shape into two balls and chill in fridge for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 and roll dough onto floured surface to one inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes as desired and bake on a greased/parchment lined baking sheet for 10-13 minutes or until sides are golden brown.
- Let cool to room temp and frost/decorate.