Giveaway now closed – thanks to all who entered!
Normally I would be giving you a new recipe to try, but today I am reviewing a new(ish) restaurant here in Omaha – Tom + Chee Omaha West Maple. This new concept originally started on Shark Tank and the local shop opened in February 2015. When I first signed up to review Tom + Chee, I had no idea what to expect, but I love grilled cheese as much as the next girl, so I was ready for an adventure!
Warmly greeted by owners Lindsay and Matt, they took us through the menu, history and concept for Tom + Chee – the coolest thing for me as a food blogger was that everything is made fresh to order. There isn’t a microwave or fryer in the restaurant. Meats are roasted in house, homemade pesto is fresh and delicious, made with sunflower seeds so there are no nut allergy concerns (most pesto is made with pine nuts.)
Vegan or vegetarian? You are taken care of at Tom + Chee as well. Today many of us have family/friends with different dietary restrictions and we want to find a place that everyone can eat at and enjoy – Tom + Chee is one of them. Gluten-free bread, vegan cheese and fresh made salads (I could have drank the Balsamic Vinaigrette, it was that good) make Tom + Chee much more than a grilled cheese joint. From building your own grilled cheese to Kids Night (Tuesday kids are 99 cents after 4pm) this is spot the family can stop by after a long day at the pool, after soccer practice, or just to get a break from cooking at home.
We tried pretty much all the sandwiches, but my two favorites were:
1. The Flying Pig (their most popular sandwich) which is a grilled cheese with Gouda, bacon, turkey and pickle on white bread. While it might sound a little out of this world, it’s amazing! The crunch from the bacon and the sweetness of the pickle really compliment the turkey and cheese, making this a jacked up grilled cheese I can get behind (I definitely recommend dipping it into the Creamy Tomato Basil Soup!)
2. The BBQ Bacon which has BBQ potato chips, bacon, American cheese on white. Sweet and tangy BBQ sauce marry well with the crunchy chips and grilled cheese. I don’t know about you, but when I was little I always added a chip or two to my grilled cheese sandwich, so this brought me right back to being 10 years old.
This place rocks plain and simple. It reminds you of lunch on summer break, but elevated to adulthood in the coolest way possible. Being a food blogger enjoying food with other food bloggers just made the experience even more amazing. Head out to West Omaha for lunch/dinner, or a store location near you (find a store near you here).
And before I forget there is dessert to be had! My favorite was the Strawberry Lemonade (there is mascarpone people!) but you can pick from the classic Grilled Cheese donut to a S’mores creation that just screams summertime.
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup are not just for winter, but seasonal items are available to suit your needs – from Summer gazpacho to Blue Cheese Chili in the fall and winter, you are going to want to come back year-round!
Tom + Chee Omaha West Maple is letting us give away some meals to you! Two winners will win vouchers for 2 Grilled Cheese and Drinks and 2 Grilled Donuts! Contest runs until 11:59 PM Sunday August 2nd – winners will be announced on Monday August 3rd. Here is how you enter:
1. Follow Tom + Chee Omaha West Maple on Facebook and leave a comment, letting them know who sent you (Janelle from Bakes In Slippers)
2. Leave a comment on my Tom + Chee Instagram post telling me which sandwich you want to try.
3. Leave a comment on this post, sharing your favorite grilled cheese memory.
Two winners will be randomly selected by 7 PM Monday, August 3rd and have until 7 PM Wednesday, August 5th to claim their prize. Good luck!
Want more ways to win and more reviews? Check out what the other fabulous Omaha Bloggers had to say:
*While I was given product and vouchers for my time, all opinions are my own.